Tuesday 29 July 2014

Recipe recommendation: Queen Elizabeth cake


My lovely girlfriend, Julie, offered to make me a cake for my birthday so I asked her to bake me a Queen Elizabeth cake. It's been my favourite type of cake for as long I can remember. It's a dense, moist date cake with a sweet, rich coconut icing. Why is it called a Queen Elizabeth cake? According to a Maclean's article the story is either that it was invented for Queen Elizabeth's coronation in 1953 or for the coronation of the preceding Queen Elizabeth (the Queen mother) in 1937. Either way, it's a classic and it's delicious.

Julie followed a recipe from the blog Hungry in Halifax. It's very similar to more traditional (but non-vegan) Queen Elizabeth cake recipes. It's very good! I give it three thumbs up and urge you to give it a try next time your sweet tooth acts up.

What a nice birthday cake! Thanks, Julie!

Doesn't that look tasty?

No comments:

Post a Comment